Friday, February 24, 2012

Anniversary batch

Today I uncasked the first batch of Grand Traverse Distillery/O'Bradley's blended Irish Whiskey, the Anniversary Batch (casked Sept 1). Netted two liters of 80 proof blended Irish whiskey (50% corn, 50% malted barley); two 250ml "pints" of cask reserve (125 proof); and from the dregs (the last bit from the cask) about a pint of "apple pie" (60 proof spiced apple). In all, the angels (evaporation) and the "devil's cut" (what remains in the wood of the cask) took about half a liter. Lacking a local source of distilled spirits, I am rolling the dice and trying "whiskey cask Long islands" (Bacardi 151, Sauza silver tequila, 110 proof vodka). I'll give it a couple of months and see what we get.

I think I'll go mix up a Manhattan toast the magic.

Photo

--Brad

No comments: