Saturday, January 26, 2008

I have a Dream-weaver

Just finished a 3-hour "Basics of Dreamweaver" session this morning for a roomful of almost total web rookies. What is striking to me is the moment about two hours into the session when I was explaining the function of the
tag and css when I realized that for all but one of these people, all the web design functionality they needed could be had through tools like Blogger, Flickr and MySpace.

At the same time, I'm looking at the pros and cons of installing Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac and having some real doubts about whether I need it. I've recently been using an open source Word processor called AbiWord that a student showed me. Except for really ugly icons, it works great.

Even more interesting (and threatening to MS Office) is the Google Gears technology that lets users work on online documents while offline, then sync those documents when you connect. Implemented by Zoho Office in November and available or coming soon to other online web apps, this has enormous potential to change the way we work and collaborate.

The connection between Dreamweaver and MS Office is that they seem to be retreating a little bit more every day into increasingly specialized niches, and ultimately into obsolescence. Big, do-it-all, expensive applications for everyday tasks like writing, crunching numbers, making presentations and publishing on the web just don't seem like a good idea anymore.

--Brad

No comments: